Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What I Didn't Expect When I Entered the Workforce:


Comments from New Workers and a Career Advisor



By Tamara Dowling, CPRW

Here are comments from workers (W) in various positions and industries. These workers tell us what surprised them, frustrated them and what nobody told them to expect when they entered the working world for the first time.

Our career advisor (CA) responds to each of the comments with suggestions for overcoming these issues, or playing the situation to your advantage.


Office Politics

W: I knew office politics existed in every type of company. However, I thought I could avoid it. I planned not to get involved and not let it affect me. Even though I am nice to everyone, it seems like someone has negative things to say about me. And, there is always someone trying to drag me into an issue they have with someone else.

CA: Try your best to stay neutral. If conversations with a co-worker head into a bad direction, make an excuse to exit the conversation.

If you feel you are the target, try politely confronting the person in private. Say something like, "I get the feeling you are upset with me. Have I done something? I value our working relationship and want us to get past this." Many times it is a misunderstanding that you can get past. If it is not, you'll learn a little more about what you are up against so you can avoid it.


Time

W: Nobody explained to me that my hours were calculated on quarter hour segments. If I am three minutes late, I lose 15 minutes. Why are they tracking my time anyway? Can’t I just get my job done?

CA: When you start your job, ask exactly how your time is recorded and what your pay is based upon. Also ask about time away from work for personal appointments, and any other instances in which you may not receive a full day's pay. If a relaxed environment is more important to you, be sure to learn the company’s policy before you start.


Dress Code

W: I did not expect my manager to take my dress style so seriously. I think I look good, and my friends do too. My manager can't seem to get over it.

CA: Before you take a job, find out about the dress code. Take a tour of the facility and pay attention to the way others are dressed. Companies take their image seriously. If you don't think you conform to their image, you might be happier in another company. If you can't find a company that tolerates your dress style, you may need to alter your dress style while at work.


New Job Brought New Expenses

W: I was surprised at the expenses associated with the job. New clothing, dry cleaning, parking fees, professional association fees, group lunches, and other expenses take a big chunk out of my budget.

CA: When you are considering a new job, add up expenses like the ones mentioned above. If you are unsure what expenses you'll have, ask the hiring company about dress code, parking fees and association memberships before you accept the job.

Many companies will pay for some or all of your parking expenses. Some even subsidize your commuting expenses, or offer incentives for ride sharing. Some employers have discount arrangements with local dry cleaners and the cleaners will even pick up your garments at the office.

If you are interested in a professional association, when you are negotiating your salary ask about the company sponsoring your annual fees.

Many companies have specific policies about continuing education and what exactly the company will pay for, and what you are required to do to qualify. Learn about the policy up front.

It also helps to know how much it will cost to finance a new wardrobe if this is your first time to work in a conservative office environment.


Routine

W: I had so much variety in school. Now that I am working, I am bored with the daily 8:00 to 5:00 routine.

CA: Spend time exploring career options. There are many careers that have a lot of variety and excitement. Even while in your current job, you can plan a new career. You probably already have a list of things you like and don't like. Consult a career counselor for help, or check out the free Discovery Tools by SeekingSuccess.

Also, you may be able to find new challenges and more variety in your current job. Talk to your manager. If you are doing well with your current responsibility, she may be willing to assign you special projects that will give you the lift that you need.


Rules, Rules, Rules

W: It seems like the company is so rigid about rules. For example, no personal calls, no eating at my work station and lunches are only 60 minutes. I think I could perform better without so many restrictions.

CA: Not everyone can work better without rules. In fact, most employees need guidelines. If the rules seem arbitrary, ask a senior person or manager why they exist. There is a reason. Perhaps personal calls were excessive and goals were not met. Maybe lunches were extending late into the afternoon and customers' needs were not met.

Before you take a job ask if you can "sit in" the work area for a couple hours to see what it is really like. In two hours you'll get a taste of the culture. You'll know if it is right for you.

All companies have rules to keep things running smoothly. It also promotes fairness because all employees are treated in a similar manner. Rules may be something you'll need to conform to meet, especially in an entry-level position. As you move up in the company, you'll accept new responsibility and freedom.


How am I Doing?

W: I miss being graded and always knowing how I am doing. In school I knew how I stood and what I needed to do to bring up my grade. At work, I worry about my performance.

CA: If you feel you're not getting enough feedback from your manager, talk to your manager. Say something like, "I like my job. I really want to do well. Please let me know if I am meeting your expectations and what I can do to improve."

It is not a good idea to keep asking again and again. But checking in every 3 months or so is all right if you are not getting reviews, praise, or criticism from your manager.

At school the institution exists to help the student body succeed. At work, the focus is on the company's success. You may need to reorient yourself to this new environment.


Time Management

W: I always thought I was an effective time manager. I was never late with my school assignments. Now I struggle to keep my desk current, and to answer all my voicemails in one day.

CA: Time management can be challenging, but you can master it. In school your workload is structured, and it is fairly easy to plan and manage. Work can be unpredictable, especially if you deal with the public. You may feel out of control.

The key is planning and prioritizing your work. Since each job is different, talk to a senior person in your department for specific advice.


Fitting in with Older Workers

W: I started my job and everyone is 15-20 years older than me. I feel really left out and alone.

CA: Even if your co-workers are different from you, you have your employer in common. Use that as a starting point to open up communication. They probably feel just as awkward with you.

Try breaking the ice by bringing in muffins for your work team. Ask about their families. It can be fun getting to know people with whom you wouldn't normally socialize.


Job Search Time

W: I was surprised at how long it took me to get my first job. It took me three months. I wished I had started looking sooner. I also wished I had gained more volunteer experience, internships, or actual work experience while in school. None of my professors or counselors expressed how important it is to have experience.

CA: It is a great idea to start planning in your junior year. Begin researching careers and employers. Meet with workers in jobs that you think you'd like. Learn as much as you can about the opportunities out there.

If you have a general idea of what you'd like to do, test it out by taking a temporary assignment or ask an employer to bring you aboard as an intern. Many charities are struggling and would welcome a motivated, intelligent student to volunteer part time. You can gain sales, fund-raising, marketing, management, accounting and many other skills as a volunteer.

Allow six months to search for your job. If you are seeking a higher-level position, it may take longer to land your ideal job.


Job Info , Jobs , Employment

Bookmark and Share


No comments:

Post a Comment